The last two weeks and Ladan

People in minimally conscious states are said to be prone to certain things, top of the list come chest infections and pressure sores, both because of a general lack of movement. Ladan has had a few suspected chest infections over the last few years but nothing major, just requiring a basic course of a regular anti-biotic and her skin has always remained in reasonably good condition, which is a credit to the nurses and carers who have been involved in her care.

On the evening of 17th October Ladan started breathing quite rapidly. In the early hours of the morning the breathing seemed to have calmed down but when I came back some hours later Ladan was being attended to by two nurses trying to help her with chest problems. The doctor was called out and she recommended that Ladan get to hospital fairly quickly. Before noon that Thursday we were in hospital.

In hospital things moved slowly. It was may hours before a doctor came to see Ladan, they decided to prescribe some anti-biotics. Ladan’s condition worsened throughout the day and she really seemed to be struggling for breath as time went on. As I have mentioned before, my presence and support for Ladan have often helped her be more settled and so I was diving in and placing myself right before her eyes, giving her lots of love and encouragement… this was incredibly traumatic for me. Only once before, in the very early days of this stage of Ladan’s life, have I seen ladan looking so terribly uncomfortable and struggling, it is a very difficult thing to witness, there was a sparkle in her eyes when I was in front of her, I knew that she knew that she could handle this, but that didn’t make it much easier to behold and inside I was yearning for the doctors to get some treatment started and to start relieving the problem for her.

Eventually we were transferred to a ward where they had no idea what Ladan’s situation was or what she required in terms of facilities or care. This initially caused an upset between the staff which is not the best welcome you can have to a ward. The nurse on duty was telling me that he was not sure he could provide Ladan with the care she needed as he also had a lot of other patients to look after. Ladan was getting worse at this point and the doctors were called to have a look at her again. Ladan got onto a more direct treatment. Because Ladan was very ill there was a lot of consultation about possibly going to intensive care. The consultation was not just about why we might need to go to intensive care, but also about whether or not we should go to intensive care. Many medical staff were apparently unhappy that a minimally conscious person should be entitled to intensive care, and the debate over whether we as a family wanted Ladan to receive any treatment, if required, was had several times in the first 24 hours of our stay. The following morning Ladan’s assigned consultant in the hospital, who has an excellent reputation for dealing with respiratory disorders and is also the head o f the Intensive Care Unit, modified the treatment regime and confirmed that, on this occasion at least, intensive care would be available for Ladan if she required it.

With the help of Ladan’s Mum, Shahla, we were able to be with Ladan 24 hours a day for the duration of Ladan’s stay in hospital, ensuring that Ladan was as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. Unfortunately the staff on the ward were very busy and the setting meant that it was not possible to always provide Ladan with some of the care she would normally receive. I got hooked up to some basic Internet access through the hospital’s Patientline service, which worked less well than a basic mobile phone would with the Internet, but it gave me some facilities (not including blogging).

Ladan became increasingly stable. She was very chesty all the time we were in hospital and there were good times and bad times. The most traumatic period was not repeated but it never felt like it was that unlikely to happen again. Toward the end of last week Ladan’s consultant started predicting that we would be able to leave on Friday as the blood test results were encouraging. On Thursday Shahla and I repositioned Ladan in her bed in the evening and I felt that Ladan’s skin was not as good as usual. This plagued me for a while, as I was starting to wonder if Ladan might be chesty because of discomfort rather than infection. On Friday morning the consultant came in and suggested that Ladan could stay in hospital over the weekend so that they could see how she did without anti-biotics. Given that Ladan is currently in a nursing home with more intensive nursing care than the hospital were able to provide I asked if it would make any difference if we went back to the nursing home and the consultant put the wheels in motion for this to happen, we returned on Friday afternoon.

The first thing we wanted to do was get a proper shower for Ladan and wash her hair, on seeing the state of Ladan’s skin I was almost shocked to tears, I have never seen skin looking so sore, thankfully that is now very much on the mend.

Over the weekend Ladan remained very chesty, Sunday was a slightly better day and Monday was a very god day where she was looking much brighter and healthier. By comparison Ladan has been a bit out of it again today but her chest does not seem too bad. It is looking very promising that this bad spell is over now, but Ladan is still coughing up slightly creamy secretions from her chest, so there is an element of caution to our optimism. Even if there is a residual infection it should hopefully just require another course of basic anti-biotics to finish the job, rather than a hospital visit, so long as it is recognised soon enough.

In the midst of this I had yet more drama of my own, though luckily not serious, in the form of a car crash, which can be read about here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.